Course of study: Double Degree
TU Darmstadt students complete their first year of the Master’s Double Degree Programme at their home university.
At the start of their 3rd semester, the students move to Blacksburg, to attend courses and write their master's thesis at Virginia Tech.
The master's thesis is carried out jointly, so that in addition to a Virginia Tech professor, a professor of the TU Darmstadt acts as the co-supervisor.
We recommend that you apply in the third, at the latest in the fifth semester of your bachelor's programme, so that the stay abroad can take place in the third semester of your master's programme.
Participants of the programme need to meet the following requirements:
- Above-average academic performance
- Extracurricular engagement and social competence
- Very good knowledge of the English language
- Willing to submit a report at the end of the programme about the experience
- Alignment of the master's curriculum to match with the requirements of the double master
Costs & funding opportunities
Two graduate assistantships are available to TU Darmstadt students coming to Virginia Tech. These will help cover tuition and fees, health insurance subsidy, and provide a competitive stipend. The graduate assistantships usually will extend the stay at Virginia Tech by one additional semester.
Without graduate assistantship, costs for tuition and fees will be approximately $15.000 for a semester.
Not covered are living expenses that can vary from $8.000 to $15.000 a year. To cover those costs theDAAD-Jahresstipendium might be interesting for you.
The following application documents need to be submitted to the MechCenter of the Mechanical Engineering Department:
- Online application form from the Department for International Relations and Mobility
- Letter of motivation with a brief description of the study plan abroad
- Your current transcript of records (a self-printed web transcript is sufficient!) + Proof of Industrial Internship
- Copy of the Abitur Diploma
- Tabular CV
- Proof of language proficiency (if applicable, Abitur certificate does not have to be certified)
A selection committee in the Mechanical Engineering Department determines whether the applicant is suitable in a selection interview at the beginning of December of the application year.
Should the applicant be nominated for the double degree programme, the application at VT must take place the following year (application deadline is January 5th).
All language certificates must also be submitted then.